Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Good Morning,
First off, an apology for not getting Thursday the 17th's piece up until yesterday (Friday).  It was a rough day and when I finished previewing the post, I forgot to go back and hit the publish button - yikes!
Art Every Day, Saturday, January 19, 2013

Here is today's new piece.  It features a simple background made from torn segments of white and tan fabric on top of black batting which was then quilted horizontally with straight lines 1/4" or so apart. Next, I added the two black strips and stitched them down.  Then came the two red violet heavily stitched lines made with two threads through the needle.  Finally I topped the whole thing with the three stitched swirls done in two threads also, one yellow orange and one orange. I really like the simplicity of the piece and the way the simple shapes and lines play off of the crisp background.  It feels very minimalistic, crisp and clean to me.  It's a stylization that I definitely want to play with some more.

Enjoy your weekend, till tomorrow,
Heather 

2 comments:

me said...

It IS a very crisp piece indeed!

The torn edges and assymetrical placement of the differently sized pieces provide interest and the simple, small, straight quilting lines provide a calming and unifying background.

There is just enough black to make a bold anchor for the quilted lines and swirls. The colors of the piece are bright yet not in-your-face overwhelming for the rest of it.

This has a lot to look at because of the detail, my eye is drawn to the background quilting, the frayed edges of the fabrics, and the lines of thread.

Steph said...

I have recently been quilting my backgrounds, or the whole quilt (Cynthia Corbin-style) with the narrow, relatively straight quilting and enjoying hte effect it has. I love how it works here to make the background stay in the background and allow the swirls to come forward. Depth in a piece is something I have been trying to improve in my quilting. Thanks for the great examples!