Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, June 7, 2013


Art Every Day, Friday,  June 7, 2013

Good Afternoon,
It's been a few days since I've really enjoyed my daily piece from beginning to end.  Today I definitely have! 
I began by stitching the large, fancy feather on a piece of violet/blue hand dye with two layers of poly batting beneath it.  I just stitched the out line of the feather then cut away all of the excess batting, trapunto style.  Then I laid the feather stitched violet fabric on top of a piece of yellow green fabric which in turn went down on top of violet batting.  
I then restitched the outside of the feather then added the circles in the middle of it and the interior petals.  Next I switched to a violet thread and stitched all around the feather with a stratitish line that emanated from the feather and ended at the edge of the violet fabric. I switched back to the blue green thread that I had stitched the feather with and stitched the circles in the yellow green area.  I think it's so fun how that yellow green has risen above the violet and looks closer to the viewer even though it is physically underneath it.  Ah, color.... it so often has it's way with us mere humans. 
Once all of the quilting was done, I swept over the raised surface of the stitched feather with a sponge brush and some iridescent blue green Shiva paintstik to highlight it.  Then, because it kinda has an eastern Indian look to it, I added the small dots using silver Tsukineko ink and a fine, fine brush.
I really love it.  It's both pretty and interesting for such a small piece.

We'll I'm off to get goodies for tonight's First Friday celebration here at the gallery,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

The details in this piece really make it sing!

It is quite interesting to see how far forward the yellow green appears! Not only that, but the bubbled texture in the fabric itself really lends some extra dimension to the bubbles you quilted, giving that area a lot of depth.

The feathered area is wonderful in so many ways. Emphasizing the stitching by going over it a couple of times and having the extra padding makes it feel like we can see and feel the ridges of each petal.

It's gentle curve suggests movement and it helps draw the eye across. Describing the straight quilting as "emanating" really nails it, because that's exactly what it is- light (the paint) and line being emitted from the feather!

The white dots are a perfect highlight and a nice repetition of the dots in the yellow green, adding great unity to the piece. Even the batting adds unity, repeating the mottled colors seen else where, and added the to feeling of light as well.

A very beautiful piece, I can see why you enjoyed creating it so much!