Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 2, 2013


Art Every Day, Sunday, June 2, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's new piece.  It is a combination of a hand drawn eye from my class last week along with hand painted fabrics and hand dyed fabrics.  It's a weird collage but I like it.  The painted bits are all from one fabric that I painted.  They look so different when cut apart.  I like how the blue green background sits quietly by while everything else struggles to find it's place.  Both the white and the yellow want to win and the other painted pieces are sitting in various layers of the  mid ground.  

The quilting is all simple; top stitching along the edges of the shapes, stippling in the background, outlining in the eye and herky jerkey on the eyebrow.  I now wish that I had put something sheer over the whole thing and ripped it away to clearly reveal just the eye.  Maybe next time.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

How great it is to know that you also have those "I wish" moments, after a piece is done... lol

I love how you have been incorporating your new skill right into your daily work, it's showing us all kinds of ways to use things in ways that we might not have thought of.

Your use of repetition in this is just perfect- everything has been used more than once and so there is this great overall cohesion in the piece.

Choosing the background color to match the eye color- or vice versa- was inspired! Your iris shading is so pretty and well done, from close up as well as from far away. You have given the illusion of a lot of detail in the eye even though there isn't.

There is great visual texture in this- which goes wonderfully with your eye as a focal point! lol I love the bold black streak down the left side, it really helps to pop out the eye details.

The paint spatters throughout and the swirls provide more texture and some nice movement as well. I think all of the layers and dimension that the different pieces are alluding to make it a fun piece to keep looking at.

This is an unexpected and quite out of the ordinary AED, just having that body part sitting in there!