Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 6, 2013




Art Every Day, Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hello all, here is today's new piece. I wish this was a better photo, but it's hard to get the white to really look white.  I really liked it with the squares stitched down with the yellow thread, but I don't like it now that the background is so heavily quilted.  It flattened the white down into the black fabric beneath and grayed it out.  I like the areas in the white that have the circles stitched because it has larger open areas. It is also evident that my needle was too big for my thread and usually those holes can be steamed out of cotton batting, but I used the crappy felt with this one (I need to go get some black batting!) and the holes did not fill up after steaming.
I do like the design overall design though and will likely tackle it again with better batting, heavier thread and two layers of white fabric so that I don't go to gray in the background.

Tomorrow is another creative day,
Till then,
Heather



2 comments:

me said...

Photography can do crazy things, as can displays... on my computer, this piece glows sort of blue violet and the pieces you are calling yellow look yellow orange and so it looks like a study in direct complements to me.

Even the black doesn't look black, but really dark blue, and the stamped pieces read as dark blue as well, especially the two on the right.

I love the quilting on this one. The trail of bubbles and lines you left behind some of the squares really adds interest and dimension and makes me stop and look. It also adds some nice flow to the piece.

I also really enjoy seeing the thread trail off of the yellow squares into the negative space, extending their boundaries and connecting them to each other and their background more. They feel tethered there, they belong, with those tendrils reaching out.

I like how you divided the four pieces of the puzzle. I think it's hard to do an equal amount of pieces and make it look good, but you did. It's very visually pleasing, nicely balanced and keeps the eye moving around well.

I wasn't aware of the problems that wrong-size needles & threads could cause- I keep missing your lecture on that. I obviously still have a lot to learn. But I don't mind the little holes in the background, it sort of adds another layer of space-like feel to it.

Meredith Owens said...

Great ppost thanks