Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, June 3, 2013


Art Every Day, Monday, June 3, 2013

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece.  It began with a long rectangle of off white canvas.  I added the three designs using a stencil and light modeling paste.  Once dry, I painted the whole thing this bright yellow orange then sprayed it with some truer green.  Once that was dry, I painted the raised designs with a slightly metallic red violet.  I really love how the green splotches on the raised design show through the red violet paint as blue violet.  
I laid the canvas rectangle down on some hand dyed red violet and some black batting.  I then stitched around the raised designs and stitched long, wavy, close together lines in the yellow green background all using yellow green thread.  The red violet background was quilted with a finger print design using a slightly darker red violet thread.  
I really like how the two stitching motifs are playing off of each other and how bold the contrasts are.  It was a fun piece to do.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

3 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love how these colors look together. Very nice piece!

me said...

The black border really pops this direct complement pair of colors out!

I love what details you used to further the contrasts as well, such as the frayed edges on the sides of the yellow green and using color variations within the color strip and focal point.

Having those color variations from the spray on the yellow green and then showing through the paint as blue violet adds great dimension and almost shows as another layer in each color.

Your fingerprint design is great and beautifully sets off the focal point, while at the same time keeping the red violet solidly in the background.

Though I can't see the tactile texture in the photo, I know this has it, and I bet it's great to see in person, having the raised areas with a bit of glitter floating a bit above the glowing yellow green. Great piece!

Hates Myself said...

Appreciate yourr blog post