Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, June 10, 2013


Art Every Day, Monday, June 10, 2013

Hello all, before getting started, I just want to send out a really big thank you to Christa Irell.  Not only are you the only visitor who comments regularly, you also teach me new things about my work every time you do.  As an artists it is fabulous to have a live audience who is willing to give feedback so openly.  Thank you again and again!

Now, on to today's work.  I began with blue fabric on blue batting which I quilted with a wonky basket weave in matching thread.  Then I cut some circle out of some delicious cotton velveteen scraps left over from re-covering my dining room chairs earlier today (it's my day off from the studio!).  I dribbled some red orange rattail between, over and under the circles and fringed the ends then couched them down and top stitched the circles down.  

I'm quite pleased with the depth provided by the movement of the rattial with its over and under positioning.  I also love the painterly dye job on the circle fabric as it adds depth too.  It was so fun to do and I like it too.  Plus, it's an analogous complement, one of my favorite color combos.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

You are very welcome for my comments! I learn every time I look and start thinking about the piece as you have taught me. I find as I start typing, I see more and understand more than I originally thought when I first glanced at the work. It's been a fun and informative journey for me so far!

This has such a planetary feel to it, not only because of the palette, but because the dye variations on each of the circles really give the illusion of them being spheres, not just flat circles.

The background quilting and the rattail resemble a kind of air flow to me and further support the whole sense of outer space, as does the ample amount of soothing background.

The couching and frayed edges give some nice tactile texture and great energy and are a nice contrast to the serene overall feel of the piece as a whole.

Actually now that I think about it, I am a little surprised that the blue does such a good job of bringing so much of a calming influence on these fiery colors! It's not something I would have expected. With bold colors and quite a lot of them, I might have predicted the opposite. I also think your placement of everything is very balanced and really helps calm the storm, so to speak.

I love the luminosity in this! It's all over, in the bits of light in the batting, the background, the lighter bits that show in the spheres, and the glow of the rattail or it's thread- not sure if it's one or the other or both. It has a nice overall glow to it. Again, it adds another element that makes me think of the sky and the planets and the stars...

This one is great for a big imagination!