Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, June 24, 2013


Art Every Day, Monday, June 24, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Here is today's new piece.  It began with the vintage hand dyed turquoise hankie and some various neutral cottons and a medium gray batting.  I layered it all up so that I could feature the hankie on the bottom and right and the brown fabric with it's weird, stitched paisley on the upper left. 
 It is all very heavily quilted. and I love the quilting in the turquoise border the most. It gives it so much depth.  The background behind the brown rectangle is quite weird because it varies between dark and light and therefore it recedes in some areas and tries to come forward in others.  The stitched paisley doesn't show as well as I had hoped.  I now wish I had used a heavier thread for it. 
 I also wish that I had not tucked in the small bit of hankie lace just under the bottom right corner of the brown rectangle.  I think it's a bit much. I love this brown/turquoise color combo it's lively yet calm.
Till tomorrow,
Heather 

2 comments:

me said...

This IS such a beautiful palette.

I think the fabric choices here make for some great eye tricks.

The dark brown is physically sitting on top of the dyed background- but between it's rich, deep color and small, stipple quilting it is receding and forming this recess which seems to make the turquoise paisley just float on the surface.

The light colors in the background are helping make this dimensional feel happen; they are giving that background an ethereal- not flat- feel, and so the paisley and the small lace pieces aren't just laying there, but instead are hovering near the top of the piece.

The grounding piece of turquoise hankie is beautifully quilted and it's undulating movement really adds a gentle flow as it moves the eye around the detail of it.

I especially love the twist in the middle of the paisley! When I look at it, it is just a line- but it adds a LOT of impact.

Such great texture, both visual and tactile in this, lots of light, and so much variety, even with a limited color way. Interesting how a piece with so much going on can feel so soothing.

Letters of the Rainbow said...

Greatt read thanks