Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Art Every Day, Saturday, June 1, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's new piece.  It began with another of the faces that I drew in the face painting class that I took yesterday with Robin Sruoginis.  This face is very simple with almost no detail, just getting a feel for the "bones" of a face.

To make this piece I simply layered her on top of a blue cotton voile which is set on top of violet painted batting.  I tore a bunch of strips of cotton and silk fabrics in the analogous run from yellow orange to violet and stitched them down with the strips hanging down in her face.  The I turned the strips up and over to look like they were being swept by the wind.  I'm quite pleased with the effect.  

The quilting in the face is simple, I just stitched along the major lines of the lips, nose, chin, ear and neck.  Then I added her eyebrows and finished with some light blue in her irises.  The white background is stitched in wavy, vertical lines that are about 1/8" apart and the blue background is stitched with a small stipple.  Again, I like this piece.  I LOVE learning new skills and plan to draw a lot more.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This has wonderful contrasts!

There is the calm of her face against the wild of her hair, the warm of her hair against the cool of the background, and the flat of the background against the texture of her hair.

Her hair not only provides texture but depth too. The frayed edges of it fill the space well and your color choices add interest and variety.

I like the simple quilting pops her face forward but that her face isn't all the way outlined. I like having to imagine the rest of the detail. It's mysterious and draws me in more to the piece.

Your warm and cool palette on this really serves your face well- the cool background seems deep set and gives the face a firm place to sit, and yet with the wild fiery hair, she seems to almost float away.

I love that you are going to draw more and I can't wait to see it!