Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 15, 2013


Art Every Day, Saturday June 15, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Here is today's new piece and again I had loads of fun.  I'm so enjoying machine quilting these days and this piece is yet another response to that.  I began by laying an extra piece of batting on top of some green painted batting then placed on the six large pieces of fabric then I topped those with the two long strips of hand painted fabric left over from another project.  
I decided to quilt each one with a linear type of motif and tried to have the lines moving in a different direction on each one.  I  top stitched along the edge of the painted rectangles so that they would really pop off the surface.  The extra layer of batting made any unquilted area between quilting lines really pouf up too. I  love the sense of depth this has too but surprisingly the depth seems to be coming from actual layering position rather than color, quilting density, color scale or value. 
Well that's about it for this piece,
Till tomorrow,
Heather



1 comment:

me said...

This is interesting and your description makes it more so. That's because other than the two multicolored rectangles, it isn't obvious to me what layers are where.

If I assume that any corner that is overlapping another color is on top of that color, then I can assume the layers. But because of how you have quilted each large piece, any of the pieces coule be on any layer- they could have a cut out area, or they could all be on the same layer, just fit together like a jigsaw.

So from my perspective, viewing here on my computer, there is definite depth, but the color and stitching are affecting what seems nearer to me.

The violets are furthest back in my view, providing a background and bringing the eye across to the color next deep, the blue green. Both of the yellow greens appear to shimmer and float near the top and the luminosity in the green at the bottom makes it seem like it's in the mid-to-foreground as well.

The multicolored strips are so light, they are just poised weightlessly on the surface.

The green batting is a beautiful continuation of so much of the interior color and gives the feeling that there is more out there that we just can't quite see.