Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 22, 2013


Art Every Day, Saturday, June 22, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Here is today's new piece.  I began it with the center most fabric that I created yesterday with thickened dyes.  I grabbed a couple of cottons in slightly mottled red violet and blue  to go with it along with some turquoise canvas and deep blue Mexican jute.  I layered it all up on top of some dull blue green boiled wool and stitched.  
The center is quilted in a dull blue green with just a few intersecting straight lines stitched at different angles.  The blue cotton is quilted in alternating straight lines and the red violet has a decorative feather in it.  
My favorite part is the coiled fabric circle in the turquoise square.  I like the piece, but mainly because I like the dye painted fabric.  However, it does have some balance issues which I would work to fix if it weren't a daily piece. 
There will always be another one tomorrow and I look forward to using this fabric again.
Till then,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

The first thing I do when you mention balance issues is try to look at the piece from different distances, because that's really the only way I can tell. I am still too unpracticed to always see from right in front of my face. I also turn them around to see if that helps me pick any issues out.

Neither of these things helped me out on this one.

I think I am having trouble pinpointing what you mean because of the color. To me, the way you oriented it, with what you have on it, it looks balanced to me.

The darker fabric and texture is in the lower right corner, the lighter in the top left. The coiled circle is offset with a strip of the light fabric, nicely grounded in the bottom opposite corner, and the coiled fabric is mirroring the main beautiful center fabric.
However, I will be the first to admit that my eye is still largely unpracticed and that is why I love to do these exercises with you. I learn every day.

I love the light in this. the jute really has some shine to it and the dyed piece in the middle has a few lovely luminous spots.

Your combination of angled and romantic quilting is beautiful as always and provides perfect repetitions of the curves and lines elsewhere in the piece.

The denim colored back is a great frame for the finish.