Art Every Day, Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Here is today's new piece and as with yesterday's piece, I was trying something that is new to me. I've been doing a quilt & color technique for quite some time now, but I usually use ink to color with. Then a few days ago, I did some trapunto quilting on one of my daily pieces and I colored the trapunto design, a fancy feather, using Shiva Paintstiks. So I decided to mix the two ideas together with today's piece with nearly horrendous results.
I began with white fabric on gray/black batting. I stitched the designs using white thread. Then I chose a dark violet, dark blue violet, lighter pink, and mid toned magenta along with a lighter yellow green and a mid tone green and used those colors to color everything in with sponge daubers. It was uglier, than ugly. The colors were too bold, and bossy and every one of them was vying for attention.
Not to be outdone by some bossy colors, I grabbed a dark bronze paintstik, loaded up a dauber and went over everything with the bronze and saved the day. I had forgotten one of my own "tricks" that I always tell my students when painting anything fabric, "If it doesn't look good, add another layer or more of paint". Now, I think it is beautimus!