Well after a near fatality with my computer, here is today's new piece. I made it much earlier today then spent the afternoon rinsing 30 or so yards of fabric. Then, I took a nasty fall in some soapy water that was on the floor in the rinse out area of the studio and everything kinda took a nose dive after that. But, I really like this piece.
I began with some green dye painted batting. I topped it with this somewhat weird, highly decorative piece of hand dye that is mostly shades of blue/blue green but has these weird golden areas. It is highly mottled and I've never really known quite what to do with it. So, I ripped a large piece and covered most of the batting with it. I topped it with a rectangle of light blue linen that had some nice, long, wispy, frayed edges. I stitched the linen down with matching thread and close together straight lines then I stitched around all of the dark blue and gold sections then heavily stippled everywhere else around the blue and gold. Then I went up above the light blue rectangle and stitched sections of lines alternating between vertical and horizontal. This change in stitch style really changed the look of the fabric.
Next, I stitched a bit of rickrack that had been dyed browny gold down the top edge of the light blue linen. I then ripped some strips of cotton voile that had been dyed a truer, brighter blue and rolled up one end of each strip and tacked it down beginning at the rickrack and stitching down past the edge of the linen. I rough cut the loose ends at various angles and lengths and let them curl around at will. I then rolled up several ripped strips of the voile and stitched them down the center of the rickrack. I finished it all off with small green, dyed bone beads.
I love the messiness, the texture, the strange colors/mottling, the loose strands and the beads. They all work together to provide great visual and tactile interest. For such a small piece, it packs a wallop!