Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Art Every Day, Monday, Sept 30, 2013,
Good Afternoon,
Here is today's new piece.  It began with two fabrics that I painted with thickened dyes.  I absolutely love making colorful marks on fabric.  It's the most creative freedom I've ever experienced.  It's a real kick to make art with them too.  Something amazing occurs when no other artist is included.  
Anyway, I chose the fabric on the right because of it's color and movement.  I love the combo of bright white with bold red, reserved blue green and happy yellow.  The dark gray bits lend it a sense of maturity that it wouldn't have otherwise.  I chose the piece for the left side because it picked up the blue green of the swirls and I chose the dark gray for the tightly coiled circles to continue with my desire to bring something other than total playfulness to the picture.
The multicolored print is quilted in white, outlining the major players and nothing more.  The blue green strip is quilted in matching thread and close set horizontal lines.  The tight gray swirls sit on the line where the two fabrics meet and act to simultaneously bring them together and separate them.  
I love the bold color and the depth as well as the fabulous movement of this piece.  It makes me smile.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: