Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, September 9, 2013

 Art Every Day, Make up for Sept 6 & 7, 2013
Good Evening,
I have really been struggling with my hand. When it hurts like it has been I have a hard time wanting to anything creative.  In fact I have a hard time doing anything other than feeling sorry for myself.  So, I went to see my doctor again today and insisted on getting a cortisone shot.  My insistence didn't work, so I went home with pain killers to get me through the interim until they find out what's going on.  So, pain meds on board, I managed to get several things done today.  Here is the first one.
It began with the piece of metallic lacy stuff which I stitched out of metallic thread onto black dye painted Lutradur.  I heated away the bulk of the Lutradur then laid it on top of some beautiful, blue silk velvet which I in turn laid on top of a fabric that I had dye painted dull blue then topped with various metallic paints and a sponge.
I quilted around the lacy thread bit then around the blue velvet.  Then I continued stitching with the silver metallic on the background using a rather large swirly motif. The piece is very "Game of Thrones" like and regal in person.  It looses quite a bit of it's grandeur in the photo. Can't say that I like it all that much, you would think with such interesting products and techniques it would be a bit more fancy, but I find it a bit boring.

Now, this one I like a lot more. I don't know why, but I'm really diggin this blue and brown color combo and I like the quilting too.
It began with the osnaburg fabric rectangle then I chose two different sections of the same hand dyed fabric for the two background sections.  I laid all three sections down on a dark gray batting with blue metallic streaks.
I stitched a fancy feather in the small rectangle then sections of close set wavy lines alternating with rows of circles in the upper background section then stitched straight lines with varied distances in the lower background along with one line of large circles. 
In addition to really liking the color, I also love the sense of movement in the upper portion  which is augmented by the stillness of the straight, horizontal lines in the lower background section. The whole piece is moody and somewhat masculine.
Well I've got two more done, so I'll be right back!
Heather


No comments: