Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 4, 2013


Art Every Day, Wednesday, Sept 4, 2013
Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece and you can probably see, it is very similar to yesterday's piece.  This one has the focal point on the horizon line too, however, the horizon line has been shifted to encompass the lower two axis of thirds and the piece has a horizontal rather than vertical orientation.  I really just wanted to see how the energy, weight and depth change depending upon where the perceived horizon line is and where that line is in association with any focal point.
For today's piece, I kept the warm reds for the focal point using squares of fabric rather than wild threads and I changed the background to a warm brown instead of the cooler gray from yesterday.
I also changed up the quilting style, but kept the contrasting thread color.  For this piece, I made the quilted shapes larger in the portion of brown background along the bottom (so it could appear closer to the viewer and then I stitched the same type of design in the upper portion of background, but made it smaller in scale and added additional wavy lines.
I think it's interesting how much heavier the focal point is.  It could be because there is physically more of it; it's fabric rather than thread and the line of it is longer. Or, it could be because it is closer to the bottom of the piece, where we perceive things to be closer to us and of greater import. 
Either way, it makes for a great comparison to yesterdays work, but I find yesterday's piece more interesting.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

Sybil said...

I really like the tree a few days ago. Sorry it hurt your hand.