Sunday, September 15, 2013
For Thursday, Sept 12, 2013
Here is a new piece that I'm trying to catch up with. I've used some more of the dye painted silk that I've used before along the bottom and added some silk noil along the top. then I added a strip of gray waffle weave fabric, a ripped strip of osnaberg and a twisted strip of canvas.
The stripey silk on the bottom was quilted with long zigzaggy vertical lines with yellow thread in the yellow areas and dark gray thread in the gray areas. There is no quilting in the red areas. The yellow silk noil on the top is quilted with one big feather set horizontally. The gray strip is quilted with a big zig zag.
To finish the whole thing off I added a big, button dyed in a tone of read on the upper right and four strands of yellow pearl cotton tied with various dyed beads in red, yellow and dark gray. I like the piece with it's bold stripes in the bottom silk fabric and the repeat of those verticals with the dangling
This piece began with the darkish blue green, dye painted fabric. I quilted it to a black batting following the darker areas using long vertical lines with zig zags used to change directions. After the quilting was done I added the four swirls along the left hand side using blue, green, red violet and violet strips of fabric. I then added long lines of twisted fabric along the right hand side, repeating the colors.
In person, the colors on top of the dark blue green are much more noticeable. I like the piece well enough but don't find it very exciting. The dark areas in the background do add a nice bit on drama and more interest than a plain fabric would have.
I'll be back in just a moment with a couple more pieces.