Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Art Every Day, Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013

Good Evening,
I made this one this morning but it's taken me until now to find the time to upload it.  I was trying to accomplish two things at once with this one.  I needed another example of  faux trapunto for a video that I'm shooting tomorrow. Unfortunately the technique doesn't really show well in the photo which means it probably wont show well on camera tomorrow either. Damn.
I began by layering the green fabric on top of the black batting then I added wool batting under just half of the green fabric, the right hand side.
I quilted the leaf then added it's details and then quilted the background with close set straight, horizontal lines.  I didn't add too much stitching inside the leaf so that the stitching wouldn't flatten the interior of the leaf.  In person, the right side of the leaf is much puffier than the left hand side. I added some tiny circles inside some of the lines along the bottom of the leaf because the piece was a bit unbalanced because I set the leaf a little high in the rectangle.
Once all of the stitching was done I found the piece a bit lacking in interest so I added the iron-on crystals.  Now it looks a bit Christmassy which is not my thing.
It rarely works when I try to kill two birds with one stone!
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

mad elena said...

Have you tried turning off your camera flash and using a grazing light? That will often highlight the hills and deepen the valleys to bring out the texture.
I applaud your stick-to-it-ness of making art every day!