Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Art for Yesterday, Saturday, Sept 28, 2013
Hey there again,
Here is another piece I made today.  Two weeks ago I demonstrated dye painting with thickened dyes in the Quilter's Studio at the Denver Art Museum.  I painted about 20 pieces over the two days that I was there so you'll be seeing a lot of them in may daily pieces for a while.
This piece went together very quickly.  I simply wanted to use this fabulous warm colored fabric filled with yellows, oranges and red violets.  I topped it with some ripped strips of black linen and set it all down on black batting.
The quilting in the black sections alternates between linked swirls and straight lines and is done in red violet.  The quilting in the gorgeous background features lines, lots of lines, moving in every direction and stitched in yellow, yellow orange, orange and red violet.
This piece is quite simple, but the two elements; the color/texture of the background and the black strips of stitched foreground play off of each other very well and tell an elegant, energetic story.
I'll be right back,
Heather 

No comments: