Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Art (Almost) Every Day, Sunday, May 19, 2013

Well, here is yesterday's piece.  I made it last night but found that I had forgotten my camera at the gallery and was not in the mood to go get it at 10:00 p.m.  So, here it is today.

It's a very simple piece; a layer of blue violet hand dyed cotton on top of black batting topped with a hand dyed piece of vintage crochet.  I dyed the crocheted piece from yellow to red from the center out and simply stitched it down as I quilted.  Easy, peasy.  I love how the light is glowing from the center and is quieter and softer around the edges.  Leave it to high contrast to turn on the energy!

and now, today's piece.....
 

2 comments:

me said...

For a relatively simple layered piece, this has a lot going on!

Having the yellow radiating from the middle outward and softening as it reaches the edges really gives the piece a lot of depth, as well as interest. What's most intriguing is that the blue violet in behind it almost makes the yellow look like it's further back than the orange and red, as if it's a hole going into the distance.

I expected the exact opposite and even when I look at it up close, and see and know that they are all the same layer, and that yellow tends to come forward- it still seems to sit furthest back to my eye!

The crocheting is so textural and provides scale, dimension, and depth also. The pattern itself really lends itself to drawing the eye outward and so it works so well with your dye choices.

I can't even see any of the quilting; the colors, textures, and patterns really tell the story here. What a great story it is!

Unknown said...

I really like this piece too. I am really inspired. I just started a blog myself but having a bu=it of the hard time...too old for all this technology (LOL) I did manage to post a link to you. Pay me a visit too if you have time. My first art piece is posted, http://annsplace-dahlitsa.blogspot.ca/