Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Art Every Day, Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's new piece, just messin' around with thread color.  It has a layer of black cotton on top of white cotton on top of black batting.  I began by stitching the three stars and separating the background areas, all with hot pink thread.  Then I quilted each of the stars in a different color using a straight inline inside each star tip and tiny circles in the centers.  Then I used a different curve based stitch out in each background section.  I was trying to see if keeping all of the sections of the stars stitched in one color and all of them done with the same style of stitch would help them hold their own against all of the colorful and decorative stitching in the negative spaces.  

I believe that they are holding their own, but their hold is tenuous at best. I believe that I should have used purer hues in the stars and duller hues in the negative space.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this piece. I do so enjoy FMQ and I have been hoping to something along this line. My first Art attempt was similar. Thanks for your inspiration too. I made a link to your site from mine.
http://annsplace-dahlitsa.blogspot.ca/

me said...

Wow, does this ever show your beautiful quilting abilities- and the HOURS and HOURS of practice that you have put in to get there!!! Beautiful :)

Back to your goal of making the stars the focal point though. I was thinking about being in color class and how I would defend this if I had brought it in as my project. How would I say the stars did or didn't hold their place as the focal point?

I have to agree with you that they do indeed hold their own, because when I view it full size, I of course, can see the stars, but even when viewed quite small, the star shapes do come slightly forward.

Though I didn't understand your comment at first about using the duller hues in the negative space, when I made the photo smaller, I saw exactly what you meant.

There were a few of the background colors such as the light red violet on the right, the creamy yellow on the left, and even the brighter red violet near the top that were fighting to be seen, and made it harder for the stars to really pop.

I even understand now that the difference between using the purer and duller in those spaces could really trick the eye with some dimension and depth. Which kind of makes me want to go try it for myself!

You really challenge me to SEE with all of this- even as I write these comments. Oftentimes I am not sure what I am going to write and then I just let go and really look at what you have done and all of a sudden I SEE things that I didn't initially. It's pretty amazing :)