Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Art Every Day, Thursday, May 23, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Here is today's new piece.  It is a continuation of yesterday's experience.  After not getting the differentiation between the stars and the background yesterday, I made some changes in my color/stitch design choices for today's piece. 

Though I'm not at all pleased with the shape of the heart - hurry does not always yield what you want it to - I am happy with the differentiation that I achieved.  By quilting the entire inside of the heart with inline swirls that echoed the shapes and using all warmer colors of thread, the heart stands out better in the busy background which is stitched minutely with coolish colors  (what looks yellow in the photo is really a yellow green). 

Outlining the heart shape with the narrow row of circles in a temperature neutral color helped to separate the heart too.  I don't really like the colors on the white background either.  Yesterday's black background was much more rich and interesting.

Well, till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

Another fine example of your gorgeous quilting. Wow.

This one is SO definitive!

This is a great way to show all the things that work to make something stand out.

Scale makes a difference. Using smaller stitches in the background to make it recede and larger stitches in the focal point, leaving more of the white to show, brings the heart closer to us.

Surrounding the heart with the row of circles acts as it's own focal point, drawing our eye all the way around.

I really love the different stitching areas in the background, it makes the piece look like a patchwork with the heart placed on top of it, giving it some depth and a homey feel too.

The little blue wavy line around the heart is a nice touch too, adding a bit of space between the heart and the background so it doesn't feel so crowded.

You certainly showed us how the thread colors and designs can make a difference in what you want to show.