Art Every Day; Sunday, May 12, 2013
Good Evening and Happy Mother's Day,
Here is today's new piece. It is made entirely from dye painted batting. Everything is free form cut with scissors (I inadvertently took all of my rotary cutting tools to my new studio). I began by cutting the gray batting sections to place on the two opposing corners. Then I topped the gray sections with little flourishes in two more colors. Next, I cut the stems, leaves and flowers. I laid everything out to make sure I liked the layout then removed everything so that I could stipple the background. Then I put the corner pieces back in place and quilted them. Next, I repositioned the stems and stitched them down along both edges. Next I stitched on the long narrow leaves, right up the center only. Then I added the lower flowers by stitching down the centers only. I stitched on the upper flowers using a sloppy, swirly stitch to make them look like lilacs. The smaller leaves are stitched up the center with veins added to make them curl up a bit.
I love how the batting responds to stitch, it curls up along the edges and shows the slightly lighter color of the backside. It is of course quite a bit thicker than fabric so there is a whole bunch of physical depth too. It was a fun little experiment.