Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Art Every Day, Wednesday, May 15th, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Here is today's new piece.  I wanted to have fun with contrasting stitch and textural embellishments.
I began with a piece of yellow, heavy canvas and topped with bits of orange, red violet and more yellow.  I stitched the background in yellow thread using a mix of straight lines moving in every direction with swirls thrown in every so often.  I stitched the orange with red violet thread and swirls.  It was really orange until I stitched it, now it's pretending to be red violet.  The red violet square was stitched with straight lines and matching thread and the yellow pineapple silk in the middle was stitched with red violet thread to really accentuate the stitching.  I topped it all with a knot of ribbons, threads and torn fabrics.  It looks like a present! I like how the stitching has allowed each layer to act independently from each other. 
Now, I'm off to paint the vest I'm going to wear to the opening reception of the show "Spun" at the Denver Art Museum tonight - fun, fun.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This really does look like a present! One too pretty to open, too!

How interesting that the thread color can make the fabric color appear different- what a cool trick!

While each layer of this is very distinct, there is enough repetition throughout the piece to provide cohesion.

What really stuns me is how you manipulated the yellow. The background, like yesterday's white, sits right in the back where you want it to, and even the other pieces stay where you put them- yet they have such a good punch at the same time.

It seems weird to me to say that the background yellow feels like a place for my eye to rest from the activity of the burst of the focal point in the center!

These colors play so well off of each other that it doesn't feel like a competition and it doesn't even seem overwhelming even though my brain says it should- they are all so bright and commanding.

This is a fun and really amazing piece to learn from.