Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Not My Art Every Day, But Art Anyway.....

I don't have a new piece for today, the gallery was quite busy then I got caught up in rinsing dyed fabric, then I thought that I would paint some fabric, then I decided to finish this baby that I've been working on for quite some time now.  So, here it is finished.  Dyed and painted canvas topped with various layers of stuff including painted Lutradur, dyed cheesecloth, dyed silk hankies and tons of thread.  Here's a close up of one of the larger circles.
To make the larger circles, I would rip into the topmost layer of cheesecloth and pull it into a circular shape then push the silk underneath it to the side of the circle and quilt the hell out of the circle outline.  Once all of the quilting was done then I melted the Lutradur with a heat gun and added some painted highlights. 

This technique will be my newest series.  I'll continue working on both of my other series'; sculpted quilts and quilt & color and just add this to the journey.

I'll be sure to fit in a one a day tomorrow,
Till then,
Heather
 

1 comment:

me said...

Oooh, this is LUSCIOUS!!!

The textures are to die for and you know how much I love to melt and burn stuff... Ripping is just a bonus. lol

Layering is such a mystery to me yet, one I really need to explore and I will love watching you do.

It's wonderful what great texture the cheesecloth gives you underneath and your stitching is so beautiful surrounding these areas.

Lutrador is by far one of my favorite things to work with, it is so versatile. I need to add cheesecloth to the mix and really see what will happen.

What a great palette this is! In the close up I can see how you used different thread colors and I can't wait to see this in person so I can understand better what was what color when you started.

Thank you for continually sharing your journey and being so willing to teach us as you yourself learn. You are so generous and giving and always on path to give as you get, and that is what truly makes you a great artist!