Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Art Every Day, Saturday, May 18, 2013

Good Evening,

Here is today's newest piece.  I had one student in a Quilt & Color class today so I made a piece myself.  This started out a piece of white fabric layered with batting and backing.  I free form stitched the fish first then added all of the sections in the tail, body and fins.  Finally I stitched the sea plants and coral in the background along with the sand floor.

After the quilting was completed I used Fabrico markers to color in the bulk of the designs with a little bit of Tsukineko ink used in the background and some of the larger portions of the motifs.  When it was all done I found it way too bright so I did a wash of pale, sandy brown ink over the entire surface to quiet the whole thing down.

I love this technique.  It's possible to do just abut anything and it's just pure fun too.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I am always astonished by the pieces you quilt and color because they are so vibrant and look like printed pieces!

There is great dimension and detail in this, and even though I can see here and there where the wash is, the color is still so vibrant! What a great tip to know, that a light wash can tone things down without washing away the color.

I appreciate the subtleties of the outlines in this piece- it really makes me look everywhere.It appears that you either used two threads in some areas or quilted over them more than once, as they stand out more, which I enjoy. I also realize if everything stood out like that, it would look like a child's coloring book. lol

This does look like a lot of fun and makes such a beautiful piece!