Art Every Day, Monday, May 13, 2013
I got up this morning and immediately started "Spring Cleaning". With all of the moving from one studio to another on the tails of a teaching trip as well as trying to keep up with wholesale orders, my house has been bordering on mayhem for quite some time. So, I'm spending my two days off from the new gallery/studio, getting my home space in order - it's really a gross mess!
I threw this piece together first thing then forgot to upload it - so here it is now. It began with some finger painted/over dyed linen in tones of red violet and orange with some hints of yellow orange. I topped it with the black square which I had stamped with red violet De-Colourant some months ago. I played around with adding more black to quiet down the negative space and came up with the placement you see above. The quilting is somewhat simple, lots of black stitching in the negative space of the stamped design then some decorative stitching with two threads through the needle, one yellow orange and one hot pink. Then some simple wavy lines in the negative spaces with the same two threads and to finish it off I added some knarley knotted up bits of fibers to the center of the stamped square and the lower geometric black shape.
I'm rather pleased with this little one, I find it fun to work with some of my older exploratory bits and pieces. There's always a risk when adding stitch in contrasting thread but I think it's working rather well here.
Hope you have a glorious day, till tomorrow,