Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 11, 2013


Art Every Day, Saturday, May 22, 2013

Well, after a few weeks hiatus, and opening a new gallery and studio, I'm back with a vengeance! This is the piece I created today.  It took me a lot longer than an hour or so, in fact, it took about 4 hours.  I just wanted to sit and create so I started with a dark blue green dye painted piece of batting and needle felted the hell out of it.
I added silk hankies in violet and yellow green. Silk throwster waste in yellow green, medium blue and a soft red violet and silk carrier rods in light blue then I outlined it all using some silk and wool yarns.  Once it was all needle felted and I had broken every felting needle that I had (felted by hand, I don't have one of those machines) I quilted it.  It was kind of yummy after the felting but it became fricken fabulous after the quilting.
It's great to be back baby, it's great to be back!
Till tomorrow,
Heather

4 comments:

Steph said...

Welcome back, Heather!

I love this piece. I was immediately drawn to the textural quality of the piece (as well as the colors - these colors speak to me all the time). I bet it is a joy to handle and touch, especially with all the silk in it. Am working with silk hankies, carrier rods, cocoons, etc more recently and am loving how they add to a piece, but are not always totally opaque.

Love the quilting you've done. I will have to take the time to really enlarge it and study all the different quilting stitches and techniques.

Enjoy your dry studio!

Steph

Rona said...

Yay! You're back! And with a fantastic piece too. I' m looking forward to my daily inspiration again.

me said...

Wow, I am a little out of practice here... lol

I have to say again, how much I LOVE the sheen of silk. It is just luscious from every angle.

It goes without saying that the differing quilting stitches really bring out the highlights in the silk all over the place in this piece, but the quilting also brings such dynamic dimension too.

I love how the different thread colors play with the colors of silk behind them- sometimes blending in and really pushing the silk upwards, and sometimes floating on the surface of the silk, making another layer.

What's really the most delicious about this piece to me is it's painterly feel. The silk lends this look of flowy, splashes of paint in some places, and some controlled brush stroke looks in others. It's quite extraordinarily to look at this and realize that your medium is textiles, not paint, because at first glance, I bet you will fool some people.

This palette is one of my very favorites, the mermaid-ish, under the water colorways. It's so organic and full of life and sparks so much imagination.

This is a stunning piece- and may I say, speaks volumes as to how well your new space and life suits you :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you are back to creating your art pieces once again. Missed your daily creations & comments. Sorry about your pieces getting soaked but hope that your new studio brings you much joy & inspiration. You have helped me to spread my wings & think out of the box with my art quilts. Maybe one day our paths will cross. Thanks so very much for all you have shared.