Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Art Every Day, Monday, May 20, 2013,

Here is today's piece.  I'm still struggling, (because I keep forgetting to bring it home), with not having all of my tools/fabrics/stuff at home to make art with on my days off.  So I threw this little beast together with whatever I could find and hoped for the best.  I will probably go back and add the twisted yellow fabric all the way around the perimeter cause I like it, but I didn't have enough.  I like the quilting in the reddish area and how it echos not only the black stitched designs, but also the black and white stamped swirls.  The orange is a bit of vintage hankie.  The piece is noisy and a bit obnoxious, but I like it anyway because of it's friendly boldness.

Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I'm sorry I'm so far behind! My daughter was here from Ottawa and time got away from me.

Now I am happy to have this art every day to help cheer me up from missing her :)

I love these colors and they pop out so well against the bold black & white.

The black stitching in the red is a nice echo of the stamped swirls and brings some cohesion- but in a great variation.

Having most of the colors lay across in the diagonal serves to draw our eye across and the edge of the orange hankie is soft and nicely controls the flow.

The black batting is a great background frame for the piece, and is strong enough to tame the yellow edges, which are lively and strong, and add great tactile texture to the piece.

This is so full of visual texture from the stamped piece, but I think the bold swaths of color really tame them down and give the eye a place to rest and enjoy.