Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, May 17, 2013

Good Evening,

I'm trying to get this written before our 3rd Friday event starts. So here goes....

I began with the only dye painted batting I had at home (I took the morning off from the gallery and don't really have my mini home studio set up yet).  I grabbed the large black piece of fabric that has the discharged, filigree design on it along with a piece of mottled gray canvas and dark gray jute.  I stitched the hell out of the negative space of the discharged piece so that the filigrees would stand out then I stitched the jute in a miniscule crosshatch.  I stitched the elaborate design on the mottled gray piece then colored it in using a fabric marker.  Lastly, I added the three beads to repeat the batting color.

I'm not sure how much I like it.  I know that I don't "not" like it, but the scale and proportion of the two swirly designs are a bit weird. The smaller design is physically in front of the larger design which is a bit confusing to the eye because our sensibility says it should be the other way around.  

Ah well,
Tomorrow is another day for art making, till then,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This is one of those times that viewing the piece in both thumbnail and larger help me see overall.

When I look at it smaller, it appears as though the swirly design starts off large on the left and gradually gets smaller and lighter as it moves off to the right, and even the fact that the black & whites are opposite doesn't show.

When I see it close up and realize that they are in fact two different pieces and the smaller swirly is closer, it is surprising, but in a fun way- because it really fights with my vision!

I love how the quilting accentuates all the filigree in the fabrics and that the small hatching neatly pushes back the jute, as well as highlighting the fringe on it.

The red violet bone beads are a perfect addition to bring the batting color forward, not only as a frame but as an actual color of the piece- because it seems to bring it through the piece as well.