Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 25, 2013


A Make-up Session of Art Every Day for; July 21, 2013

Good Afternoon,
I'm trying to catch up on some of the days that I have missed my every day art making and blog entries.  So here is one for last week.
I've used this technique on a few other pieces, but only as singular motifs and I developed a similar technique several years ago using wool strips to make mosaic like compositions so I joined the two ideas together for this one. 
It is made from ripped and cut strips of fabric that are between 1/3" and 3/4" wide.  I began with a layer of violet dye painted batting and started laying down twisted strips of fabric in coiled circles with free motion stitching.  I used an analogous run of green through red violet for the circles and tried to vary the size of the circles too.  Once all of the circles were stitched then I filled in between and around them with varieties of yellow and yellow orange using more strips of twisted fabric.  
I really love the way this looks.  It's packed with color, shape and luscious tactile texture.  There are strings all over it and great variety in the colors of the circles.  It took about 6 hours to make, but I think it was worth every minute!  I want to begin a larger one right away, with big ass circles and bold, bold color with black in between!.
Tomorrow maybe,
Heather

1 comment:

Nina Marie said...

I hope you'll share these on Off the Wall friday - I've been following your progress and its fascinating!