Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Art Every Day, Tuesday, July 9, 2013
What joy! To actually make something that I really, really like!
This new piece began with just three layers; red violet dye painted batting, blue dye painted Lutradur and a piece of cotton that I dye painted with thickened dyes. The smaller photo shows the piece after the first layer of quilting was done. I simply outlined the red violet swirls and the blue lines.
Next, I cut away all of the background fabric then I went back and stitched a small stipple in the newly revealed background, the blue Lutradur. Finally, I zapped the Lutradur with a heat gun to melt away portions of it to reveal some of the red violet below.
I love the chaotic, musical feel that it has and all of the depth. It sort of looks like a wacky stained glass window. I'm teaching dye painting with thickened dyes later this week and I want to paint another piece of fabric with a design similar to this one and make a larger one of these babies.
See ya tomorrow,