Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013


Art Every Day, Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece.  I made it earlier this morning, but due to a wonderfully busy day this is the first time I've had to enter a post for it. 
I think it's a pretty interesting little tidbit. The background has a layer of black linen topped with some orange cotton velveteen with a strip of white tucked along one side and all of it set down on blue green dye painted batting.
I quilted the begeezers out of the background area treating the three colors as one and stitching with blue green thread so that the design would show up on all three colors of fabric.  The rows of circles are separated by rows of lines that are about 1/8" apart.  After the background stitching was done I topped it all with a layered bit of blue, topped with black, topped with a hand painted fabric.  These were top stitched in place.
I love its bold energy, the rhythmic movement and the color. Orange is so sexy and energetic and circles so feminine and strong. The juxtaposition of the tight squares on top of the sloppy, wavy stitched lines and circles creates about as much surface tension as a piece this small can handle.  I love, love, love pushin' it to the limit!
Till tomorrow,
Heather
 

1 comment:

me said...

This has a lot going on for a small piece- but has such a unified feel to it, that it doesn't feel like too much.

I think that using the batting color to quilt the background with and doing it over the three colors really cements the unity, and also adds another element at the same time, because the quilt design itself stands on it's own. Its movement and repetition draw the eye across and tie in the focal point as well.

The black in the background and also in the focal point both add some great dimension to the piece, as they give the appearance of great depth.

The frayed edges are always a wonderful textural addition and I love how they draw the eye outward to the next color or element.

The painted piece in the focal point is fun, and pulls in some version of all of the colors of the piece which again, really just unifies the whole thing.

It's kind of an unusual color palette; soothing, yet bold at the same time.