Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, July 12, 2013


Art Every Day, Friday, July 12, 2013

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece.  I'm back to that game of trying to kill two birds with one stone and today I succeeded.  I need a few examples using 'scribble stitch' or purposefully messy machine stitching that looks like scribbling or sketch lines.  Which is why this looks the way it does.
A few days ago I painted up a fat quarter of Osnaberg (sp?) fabric;  I dry brushed black, dark brown and pewter on the background then brushed on the red orange circles and stripes. I ripped the fat quarter into four sections and this is one of them.  I layered it on top of black linen which is on top of red orange dye painted batting.
I stitched as fast and sloppily as I could around the large circle and small circles and added a couple more circles all in black thread.  Then I stitched the black lines bisecting the red orange painted lines.  The background is stitched in random, long, zigzags that overlap each other and are just close enough to each other to push the background back behind the black and red orange.  I really love the retro, mid-mod, atomic look of the simple design and the addition of the bold thread lines.  The scribble stitching is perfect for this design and I look forward to doing some more of it.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I spent a few minutes looking at this before I sat down to comment.

The first thing that surprised me is that you really got some depth on this with just the few simple lines.

Just with your placement of the black lines over the red ones, and the way you did your spirally circles- little off-centered- you achieved depth.

This really does look like a sketch! The black has the texture of charcoal almost, and, the light top fabric has the great frayed edges which could pass for chalky residue...

This is such a fun experiment.