Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 13, 2013


 Art Every Day, Saturday, July 13, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Here is today's piece, the second in the sub-series of mid mod/scribble stitch pieces that I began yesterday.  I like the simplicity of this piece and I'm really diggin' scribble stitchin'.
This one began with the painted osnaberg layered on top of blue gray dye painted batting. I stitched around the circle, on either side of the swish and along the blue lines with black thread then I stitched the background heavily with rough, angled lines in linen colored thread. 
The balance is a bit weird, but it's holding it's own.  The swoosh and circle create the focal point and the lines do their best to balance it and add a bit more interest to the energetic  yet serene scheme.
I love the absolute simplicity of this piece with it's bold swoosh and circle and delicate lines.  It's so simple and peaceful.  I'm enjoying this stylization so much that I've got several larger pieces designed in my head adding to the overcrowding and angst!
That's all till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This is a very serene piece, and I too, am enjoying the simplicity of this style and experiment.

I like the balance, having the bulk of the weight on the left and trailing it off as the eye moves off to the right.

I will admit though- I kept going back to your first piece, because it felt like something was missing here, and I couldn't figure out what it was.

It's the black fabric you had between the batting and the painted top light layer. I think that black layer is what made your black stitching in the first piece really pop out, what gave it a little more dimension.

This has nice texture with the frayed edges and I like how the the blue and black are repeated softly throughout the top layer.

I think some larger pieces like this will be wonderful.