Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Daily Art


Art Every Day, Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Good Morning,
Here is today's new piece.  I've been wanting to play with this piece of painted fabric for a while, but just couldn't come up with something to do with it.  It's got a very complex design with lots of color.  So, I decided to go really simple with it.  I ripped the long rectangle and set it on a blue background which was set on red violet painted batting.  Then I stitched it and the background using wavy lines in yellow green thread.  Then I added the small painted squares with the dark red violet squares behind them.  These were top stitched inside the edge of the painted squares and done.
I like the piece, but I'm a bit miffed that the square with the blackest background and full pink swirl is crooked.  I may have to do the nastiest deed on earth.... pick out the stitches, straighten it out and re-stitch it.  We'll see.
Though it's simple, I like the movement and rhythm that it has and the coloration is cool yet dramatic.
That's it till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I think BECAUSE there is the definitely idea of movement from left to right on this- with the waves of quilting and in your painted piece- and because that one square is more IN the big painted area than any of the others- you could leave it.

Because one could assume that they were all moving more violently until they passed out of the painted piece and onto the calmer blue area, where they started flowing more calmly and straighter. I would assume if it had "flowed" out a little more, it would be straighter like the others, but it's still caught in some turbulence :) At least that's what I thought when I looked at it.

This blue is the perfect background for this painted piece because it is so calm and restful to the eye. It actually allows you to look at each of the painted pieces, even the large one, because the blue almost seems to slow down it's movement.

This has so much visual texture to it, with all of the paint and line, and I love the soft undulation of everything as it moves off to the right.

Even the red violet seems calmer against the blue, providing a great frame for the painted fabric but not competing for attention.

This is a great piece and one could spend a long time finding things that are new in it.