Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013


Art Every Day, Tuesday, July 31, 2013

Good Morning,
Here is today's new piece. I needed to make something that was quick and soothing.  So, I chose cool colors, soft cotton velvet and a vintage piece of crochet.  Free motion quilting is my "go to" when I'm feeling a bit low/overwhelmed, so I knew I wanted to quilt something gentle and easy on the spirit this morning. 
I layered the crochet on the velvet and the velvet on plain batting and the batting on dyed batting.  I quilted around the crochet in several areas then stitched around the shape with a feather.  I echoed the feather once then added the feather along the bottom.  I stitched the negative space with close set straightish lines. I quilted everything in a mid tone of blue green so that the stitch lines would show, not just the contour of the shape. 
I'm pleased with the simplicity and with the depth provided by the extra batting and stitching.  Mostly I'm pleased that it's done, at 10:30 and I can move on with my impossibly busy day.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

No comments: