Thursday, July 11, 2013
Art Every Day, Thursday, July 11, 2013
Here is today's new piece. Because it was so fun and cool, I went back to the cut work from Tuesday. This one has three layers again; dark gray batting topped with blue green, dye painted Lutradur set at an angle topped with apple green cotton set at the opposite angle.
The green fabric has little pin dots on it so I connected the dots to stitch the grid but left a big diamond in the middle for the stitched flower and striped border around it. I quilted small circles in the triangles of Lutradur.
I cut out the green fabric to reveal the blue green Lutradur flower below as well as all of the diamonds. Then I zapped the outer Lutradur circles and the diamonds with a heat gun to melt some of the Lutradur, bubbling it up and exposing some of the gray batting beneath it.
Though I enjoyed the process, I clearly didn't think the stitch design through as well as I could have so the balance is a bit off. I still love the effect of the distorted grid and the color is nice.
Now I've got to go down to the studio to get set up for back to back, classes in working with thickened dyes. We're going to have loads of fun!