Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 11, 2013






Art Every Day, Thursday, July 11, 2013

Good Afternoon,
Here is today's new piece.  Because it was so fun and cool, I went back to the cut work from Tuesday. This one has three layers again; dark gray batting topped with blue green, dye painted Lutradur set at an angle topped with apple green cotton set at the opposite angle.
The green fabric has little pin dots on it so I connected the dots to stitch the grid but left a big diamond in the middle for the stitched flower and striped border around it.  I quilted small circles in  the triangles of Lutradur. 
I cut out the green fabric to reveal the blue green Lutradur flower below as well as all of the diamonds.  Then I zapped the outer Lutradur circles and the diamonds with a heat gun to melt some of the Lutradur, bubbling it up and exposing some of the gray batting beneath it.
Though I enjoyed the process, I clearly didn't think the stitch design through as well as I could have so the balance is a bit off.  I still love the effect of the distorted grid and the color is nice.
Now I've got to go down to the studio to get set up for back to back, classes in working with thickened dyes.  We're going to have loads of fun!
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

Man, these pieces are SO fun! Lutradur is just one of my favorite things to play with!

I'm not sure I understand why you say your stitch design affected the balance in this piece.

I do love the luminosity that the Lutradur and the bits of glitter paint in the batting show in this. Coupled with the bright yellow green, the piece fairly glows! That surprised me because I would have expected the gray batting to subdue things much more.

The combination of the bubbles and the linear quilting is great. Having wavy lines instead of straight gives the top layer a laid back, whimsical feel instead of a severe one, which really suits the circles and shimmery layer underneath.

You obviously automatically get some texture and depth with this method too, cutting and burning away to reveal layers.

This is a really fun technique to experiment with and it can teach a lot more than I initially thought!