Art Every Day, Well Almost Every Day, July 22, 2013
Here is yesterday's new piece. I made most of it yesterday then got sidetracked by all the things I had to do and wanted to do on my one day off of the week.
I had the flower portion done all the way to the brown edge yesterday and today I added it to the red background and quilted the background.
It is from top most layer down; silk noil dyed red with brown over painting, Lutradur painted brown/black, heavy canvas dyed brown, gold striped seersucker dyed red, brown/black dye painted batting.
The flower was stitched on top with tiny stippling all around it then I cut away the top most layer to reveal the brown Lutradur which I then heated with the heat gun. I heated the edges that were sticking out around the red square too. Then I stitched the background with a larger stipple except for the long strips bordered by gold thread which I left alone.
I like the piece, mostly because of the color way. The flower is a bit clunky for my taste, but all in all it is a highly textural, visually interesting piece.
I'll be back with you in just a moment.