Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013


Art Every Day, Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Today is my hubby's birthday.  We just had a lovely dinner at the Interstate Cafe and are about to relax and watch a few episodes of the Brit rom-com, Coupling.  So here is a quick run down of today's new piece.
It began with a colograph print that I  printed a few months ago.  A colograph is a printing plate made from gluing shapes on to a flat surface. I used smooth heavy cardboard glued onto thinner, smooth cardboard then fine details are added by squeezing designs on with glue. What's so cool about this style of print is that it leaves an empty space around each portion of the design because of the multiple layers of design.
Anyway, I took the print and ripped it into three sections then laid it at an angle on some bright yellow green hand dyed cotton which I set on a light green batting. The quilting is simple, I just outlined the major designs in the print then did some straight line quilting about 1/8" apart in the long triangles of the border.  I really like the piece, it's hard for me not to because I liked the print so much.  It was quick and easy and has such wonderful built in depth and a great painterly effect of color.  
Now I'm off to giggle at the telly with the hubby,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

This IS a great piece! I love this color way, it's so tranquil.

Your color choices in the colograph itself are great, putting the visual weight at the bottom and even having the thicker paint towards the right as our eye draws across. The combination of heavy and mottled lines in the print give it a great visual texture and make it a lot of fun to look at all of the details.

The close, linear quilting in the yellow green cotton helps push it back behind the design which is tough to do as the yellow green in the design seems to be trying to pull it forward.

I do love the painterly effect of this, I always love when you achieve the look of painting or drawing on your fabric, it's very thrilling to me!

The wavy outline in the batting, the color of the batting, and the offset angle of the print all give the illusion of the piece serenely floating on the water.