Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013


Art Every Day, Wednesday, July 24, 2013,

Good Evening,
Here is today's new piece.  It utilizes some pieced fabric that I made up for a video demo last week.  I used the quilt as you go technique to piece the alternating black and warm/pieced sections.  
Then, I made the big mistake of deciding to quilt using a variegated thread to stitch the black sections with long, simple feathers.  My machine didn't like the thread at all and broke about 20 times in the first 5" of stitching.  So, I switched needles, messed with the tension, blah, blah, blah.  But, to no avail.  So then I switched machines.  No help there either, so I switched threads.  Better, no breaking, but yucky tension issues.  I finally just gave up and finished the quilting.
So, here it is.  If the tension were good, I would like it.  I like the flow achieved by stitching the feathers in alternating directions and I love the color way.  Wait until you see what I've got coming for tomorrow!  I'm trying to catch up on some of the days I've missed.
Till then,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

I have used the quilt as you go method for a few things before, like table runners or place mats, but never thought to use it much for my art quilts. I think I did it for my neutrals project in the Color Class and that's probably the last time... I guess I don't really think of it unless my project includes strips of some kind.

Visually this is fun from close up and far away. I like how you varied where you placed the strips, rather than lining them up. Having the light yellows pop up all over really brings some light to the piece.

I like how the quilting alternates directions too, it adds a whole other dimension to the piece and really makes it move! I think the piecing of the colored strips helps with that too- varying the widths at the tops and bottoms of them gives the illusion of movement as well.

What is very interesting is how the edges are a little zigzagged against the batting, making it look like the black strips are pulling tight, almost restraining the colored interior.