Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Art Every Day, February 21st, 2013,

Good Afternoon,

Here is today's new piece of work.  I had this moody, dark gray/black piece of fabric that was just begging to be night sky. So, I let it.  I used pure white for the moon and quilted it like Swiss cheese with circles of various sizes.  I then stitched the background with very energetic all over, small triangles.  Then, I selected a few fabrics from each of the twelve colors and cut short, narrow strips. I started with smaller pieces in the cooler colors in the upper left and made the pieces larger as the colors got warmer as they moved across the surface to the lower right.  I'm very pleased with both the sense of movement and dimension. 
To quote my student/friend, John, "My eyes are enjoying looking at it".
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

Oooh! There is even a moon path on this background giving the sky such beautiful depth!

The quilting is perfect for what it represents; varying circles for the moon and lots of points that look like stars in the negative space. Just outlining the colors makes them really float on the surface.

It looks so natural to see the cooler colors way far in back and the warmer colors coming closer to the viewer. There is such a comforting sense of flow in it.

Everything about this piece is pleasing to look at for sure.

Steph said...

Great design and again playful. Feel like the colored pieces are on a wind blowing from deep in the upper left corner out to the lower right corner. How cool! Like the red batting border too. Color temperature for the win!

And the circles in the white circle. Love it!