Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Art Every Day, February 26, 2013

Good Afternoon,

I woke up in the middle of the night, last night, and couldn't sleep so I made this piece for today.  I managed to get back to sleep but then overslept and had to run out the door at eight this morning to make it to boot camp.  Managed to remember to bring the piece and my computer but forgot the camera.  So, now that I'm home I can finally get this baby up.

I began the piece with some fabulous Mexican Yute that I had dyed this lovey indigo color.  I laid it on top of some green dye painted batting then quilted it in a 1/2" grid.  Then I cut out circles of various sizes and hollowed them out and layered them so that they look like they are floating across the blue surface.

All of the circles are warm or warmish in color, so I quilted them in ways that would help create multidimensionality.  The circles that I wanted to sit the farthest back, I quilted with 5-6 rounds of stitch.  The circles that I wanted to sit closest to the viewer are stitched simply around the perimeter and the center and the circles that I wanted to sit in the mid plane have three rows of stitch.  I'm rather pleased with the depth.

Here's hoping for a better night sleep tonight!
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

Sybil said...

The Center for the Arts Evergreen is proud to present Exploration of a Medium: Fiber, our forth exhibition devoted to exploring a single art medium. Fiber art includes any type of artwork which uses linear, pliable elements - fibers - as a major material. Acceptable fiber art techniques include sewing, quilting, knitting, embroidery, weaving, basketry, and mixed media fibers, both traditional and contemporary techniques, utilitarian and fine art objects.

This is a juried exhibition. Artists may submit up to 3 images for jury in the exhibit. The juror is Carmon Slater, an artist, an interior designer, a home and landscape designer, an art curator, and a naturalist. Carmon holds a PhD in Biology and has worked for 25 years as an artist. His quilts and other pieces have appeared in art shows throughout the country and grace the walls of many homes, office buildings, universities. He has served on the National Crafts Council Board of Directors and has presented workshops and shows throughout the country.

For more information, and to apply:
CLICK HERE

me said...

Wow, that Mexican Yute has beautiful texture! I love how the indigo looks layered over the green, it's has such a serene feel to it.

I just love how you can create such dimension with your stitching! This is a fantastic example of exactly HOW more quilting really can push something back. I appreciate so much, you demonstrating all of the things I have been learning from you over these past years.

In such small pieces, you can teach your lessons in big ways!

This is a fun piece with such nice balance and soothing color, I really like looking at it.