Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Art Every Day, Wednesday, February 20th, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Here is my newest piece.  I think it's a lot of fun with the warm colored ovals swirling up and off the green "sticks". They are quilted very simply just inside the edge whereas the blue background is quilted very heavily, about every 1/8th". I love it when color behaves predictably with the cool blue sitting in the background, the green sticks in the midground and orange/yellow/red coming forward.  The toned violet, dye painted batting acts as a nice quiet frame and sits behind it's cool blue counterpart because it is duller.
Now, I'm off to dye some fibers and trims.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

As always, I really appreciate your description of the piece :) For those of us who are still learning, it helps SO much to look at the piece and read about what it's doing and why.

I can see very clearly how you have accomplished the different layers, and I notice one more! The two circles that don't have one of the green sticks going through them appear to be even more forward than the others- they look to me like they are approaching the green sticks and seem closer to the viewer. That is a very cool illusion!

I can't tell for sure if the yellow is in it's pure hue or not- I think it's close- but the others all seem to have at least a tiny bit toned and I think that is what creates more harmony in the whole piece.

Steph said...

Nice playfulness in the rings. Love how they "hover" on the stems. And how the blue hovers over the violet batting. Like it alot!