Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday February 1, 2013

Good Morning,

Oh how I love color.  But I love neutrals too!  Yesterday's piece was so warm and mysterious.  Today's piece is bold and in your face.  I just love how white; pure light, is able to trump color, all of the glorious color that is in this piece can't hold a candle to the bright white of the stitched swirls.  I did all that I could to make the variety of colors in the background stay in the background, mostly by stitching it down in just one, dark dull color in an all over design.  I just love it when my experiments work and with the exception of the three small swirls in a row on the lower portion of the piece, I kinda like it.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

P.S. a shout out to both Christa and Steph as well as the rest of you who comment - thank you from me and a lot of my students who appreciate your discussions on the pieces - can't thank you enough!


1 comment:

me said...

I am very appreciative of your experiments because every time you prove or disprove a thought or a theory, we all learn :)

As I have been learning about color and design, I find that I learn best by seeing and doing. Seeing these pieces every day is teaching me so much more than I would ever get from a book- or many books.

I typically look at your work and read through your post a couple of times. Then I enlarge the photo so I can see the detail and look at it while I write my comment.

I would never have thought that most of these bright colors could be pushed to the background enough to let those swirlies dance on the top!

I see how the all over, heavy quilting in the background- and with a dull color rather than a matching bright one- makes the colors more unified and tones the colors just slightly.

Your thread painting/swirly shapes look like paint or chalk, I just adore how it looks. Mostly solid, but with those bits of background showing through here and there.

This piece is just sheer happiness!