Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Art Every Day, Wednesday February 6, 2013

Good Evening,
Well this is a first, not getting to my daily entry till the evening.  I won't even bore you with the details.  I made this this morning then....... 
Today, I wanted to work with direct complements and work with machine quilting as a design source.  I really like the bit of vintage pillow case that I dyed blue green and how it played against the red/red orange silk noil. I love, love, love how the quilting on the blue green makes the unquilted area look.  All in all, I really like the piece, both the color and the quilting!
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

I thought the very same thing at first glance- that the quilting in the blue green really pops out the design details on the pillowcase! Pillowcase! Holy cow!

The scalloped edge is also a great touch- and shows how not sticking with a traditional edge or shape adds so much interest.

I have to keep reminding myself of things you have taught me: cool colors recede and warm colors come forward, but also that with quilting you can make the opposite true. The squares that aren't quilted look fuller and seem to sit further forward than even some that are obviously on top of them. That's quite something to see.

This is a very harmonious piece with just the right balance of energy and calm. I really like looking at it, it makes me feel good!

Steph said...

Finally I get to look back at your blog. I'm so behind! Now on vacation from work for a time so will be able to do a bit of catching up.

And what a great piece! I like how the direct compliments play off of each other. But what really caught my eye is the quilting in the blue-green section on the left. It creates a whole new line and pattern, defining the shape of the middle section. So simple to do and so effective. Will be incorporating that into upcoming quilts - or may make a quilt just with the quilting defining the design...

Thank you, Heather for creating and maintaining your new habit and letting us share in it.