Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Art Every Day, Sunday, February 10, 2013

Good Morning,

Here is today's new piece. I guess I'm on a gray and white kick.  This piece began with a sheer layer of bright yellow cheese cloth laid out over black batting.  Then I added the dark gray and white sections.  I was surprised by how much the yellow showed through the white, but decided it was just a design element. I then added the squares of stamped black & white fabric and topped them with the red velvet squares (which I now wish I had made larger because the scale is off just a bit).  I quilted the gray with straight, vertical lines and the white with a maze like design, the tightness of which is making the yellow cheesecloth show through even more. 
I like the minimalistic look of the piece and the stark contrasts in color/value, quilting pattern and fabrics. I'm getting a little bored with all of the linear quilting I've been doing lately.  Tomorrow I'll try for a design that asks for something a little more interesting in the stitch department.
Till then,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

I am trying to picture what it would look like with bigger red squares... the current ones have a lot of punch, especially with the stamped black and white behind them.

The white seems to sit in the middle, rather than the background, probably because it's white, and because the yellow does draw the eye. Not in a distracting way- but in the way that I want to look closer at the mottled effect it is giving the white.

The mottling of the hand dyed gray background makes the piece very dimensional as well.

This is one of my very favorite color combinations- it is so bold and interesting. I am just LOVING how you are showing the versatility of cheesecloth. I have hardly ever used it, but I really want to now!

Steph said...

Again, uncluttered design - Love it!

I have been enjoying how you've been using cheesecloth in your pieces. Love how the yellow cheesecloth is showing through the white adding interest and making me want to linger over the piece. Also creates a subtle sashing.

I understand what you said about the scale of the red squares. Didn't think about that until I read it in your blurb. Scale is one thing I often forget to consider and I bet it will help solve some of the design dilemmas I have with some quilt tops I've put on hold because I felt they were just not working and I couldn't figure out why. Will pull some out and see if scale is the key.