Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Art Every Day, Friday, February 22nd, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Here is today's new piece.  My goal with it was to prove to myself, cause I need reinforcement, how much the quilting effects the quilt.  Here, I used very, very little quilting in an effort to see how the colors behaved.  Some of the rectangles are warm with cool colored circles and some are cool with warm colored circles.  In addition to visual temperature, I also played with value and am pleased with what has happened.  If you look at the yellow rectangle, it should be coming forward because it is warm and it does look like it is in front of the dark blue green circle.  However, the light blue circle looks like it's sitting on top of it, which it physically is.  However, look at the light blue circle in the orange rectangle.  It looks like it is underneath the orange fabric, as though the circle was cut from the orange to reveal the light blue below, only it's not, the blue is on top.  
Color is such a trip.  Sometimes visual temperature will trump all, other times color scale will take over. But, quilting will always trump both!
Hope you have a great day.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

2 comments:

me said...

This is a very interesting color study!

I had to read and re-read what you wrote as I was looking to understand what you meant by some of the circles looking like they were underneath. The description helped a lot, and I discovered the colors were a little off on my display. Once I adjusted it, I can see what you mean.

I also understand that you could bend any of these fabrics to your will by quilting them in specific ways.

It would be interesting if you could do another like this and quilt it for comparison. I like to learn by seeing.

I love your use of the dark blue (?) for the negative space in this piece. It really pops out the bright colors of the rectangles while at the same time providing a restful place for the eye to go.

The layout has a very pleasing flow to it, and the blue green dyed batting border gives some softness in contrast to the bold colors and dark background.

Steph said...

What a great idea for seeing how colors play with each other. I needed to cover some of the bars to focus on only one bar at a time, making it easier to see how the colors interact. Pretty busy piece, but quite educational.