Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Good Morning,
Here is today's new piece.  It's much simpler than what I've been doing lately.  With it, I mostly wanted to see what happens when I put a bold color such as these reds in the negative space and put a weaker color, a color usually reserved for negative space such as this brown, into the positive space. 
I'm enjoying the color combination. It's got a quiet energy. The rectangle with the embroidered flowers works well as a focal point, aided as it is with the added dimension of the cheesecloth which surrounds it.  The ruffled fabric that makes the "L" formation works well as a counterpoint. The quilting in the negative space  is actively interesting but also heavy enough to keep the red behind the browns. All in all, it is a rather good experiment.
Till tomorrow,
Heather

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such an inspiration. Thank you!

me said...

Wow, you were up and going EARLY today!

Ah, the never-ending wonders of this cheesecloth! It seems to make the focal point just float on the surface of the piece. The quilting in the rectangle indeed makes it such a pretty focal point.

I now am really beginning to understand that echoing can be done in any number of ways- shapes, elements, colors- a much longer list of things than I originally thought.

I like the pretty and tight quilting in the background- it invites me to look but does hold the red back where you want it. Amazing.

Cathy R said...

The color combination has such an old world elegance to it.

Which makes me wonder why we associate certain colors (and combinations) with certain historical and geographical periods. It isn't like I was there, so why does this piece make me think of Ferdinand and Isabella's court?

Steph said...

Love the rectangle with the embroidered flowers! Again, quilting down the negative space to make the flowers the positive space. Emphasizes again how important the quilting is to a piece.

Also love the texture of the ruffled fabric and the cheesecloth (again - cheesecloth!). Makes me want to reach out and touch it.

Also interesting how I am being drawn to your pieces that have fewer elements - less busy. I've been thinking about my style, i.e. what is my voice as a quilt artist and I think simple, few elements, less busy is part of it.

Thanks for so many example of such diversity!