Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Art Every Day, Tuesday, February 19th, 2013

Good Morning,

Here is today's new piece.  I wanted to play with melting crayons on fabrics and in so doing play with transparency when one color overlaps another color thus forming a blend or a third color.  What simple fun! I love the works of  both Kandinsky and Klee and wanted to do a simple color field with squares and rectangles running into and overflowing into each other. I decided on a simple but heavy grid for the quilting, using two black threads through the needle and leaving short, little tails to add just a bit of texture.  All in all, a fun little experiment and a great way to start the day.  Now, I'm off to boot camp and some hard exercise.  
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

What a great exercise in transparency!

At first glance, I see that using the black batting frames the white nicely and helps all of the colors really pop.

The uneven grid helps move my eye around to all the different colors. I think my eye would normally gravitate to colors I am really attracted to the most if the grid was even and symmetrical.

The black thread contrasts well with all of the colors and the white background. The extension of the grid and the texture of the tails against the white helps bring my eye out to the outside edge.

I think that is important because otherwise all I would see is the color and it would lose some of its impact without the quilting and the white all around it.