Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

 Art Every Day, Saturday February 2, 2013

Good Morning,
Here is today's piece.  I have fallen head over heals in love with cheesecloth.  It is so versatile and malleable. In this piece, I began by dividing by background into a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio with red and gray.  Then used cheesecloth to both hide and accentuate where the two colors came together.  The addition of pure black to frame the line and the square draw the eye to the tied rattail detail.  The red background is stitched with "combs" which contain line and a slight curve whereas the gray background is quilted with circles.  This juxtaposition of styles in quilting draw attention to the large negative space.  The piece could risk be boring without it.
Well, I'm off to teach a gang of women about color,
Till tomorrow,
Heather

1 comment:

me said...

What I am seeing and learning about making fiber art through this series of yours, Heather, is also how much using hand-dyed fabrics add to the versatility and the feel of each piece.

This is piece just screams unity in every way to me. The gray of the left is mirrored in the rattail, but also in the red on the right, and the whitish streak through the red cheesecloth.

The black throughout and around it gives it all this punch- yet also melds into the piece at the same time.

It is completely harmonious and still I see the individual elements playing in their own ways.

I am always fascinated by the push-pull- the diametrical (as you said) elements of art. It's what really draws me in as a viewer.

I am understanding more and more of the mistakes I made in color class!